Monday, September 10, 2007

Revival!!!

I am back! Yup back in good ol' humid Singapore, back to my family and friends, back to yummy food and back to blogging!


I was bugged by many on why I suddenly stoppped blogging.....reason is....No Reason! hehe...Suddenly I have no more inspiration to "gossip" or say anything. That's of course not to say that my life is suddenly THAT boring...hehehe....far from it!

I realise that I tend to blog a lot when I am overseas ...which was the main reason why I set up my blog and spent so much time taking photos(irritating the hell out of those who were dining with me!heh) and allowing my family and friends to find out what I was up to. You would expect my blog and pictures would explain what I had been up to...YET I realise that many people always ask me with this peculiar expression , "WHAT exactly do you do in Perth everyday?". .and they really want to know a day by day account (i am not joking!). I know the reason for the "popular" question is becos Perth is well known to be a slow slow place with nothing to do. Also being there with my husband( who is working) and I am not working....so people really want to know how I could spend my few months there without dying of boredom.

On the other hand, I spent an even longer time staying in Ho Chi Minh City, being even more bored and ended up watching a lot of TV just becos it was a working stint....yet everyone seems to think it is so exciting to be there.. haha...

From both overseas experience, I deduce that most people feel that life is so much more exciting when one is working and not when one is taking time off to enjoy life...I mean it is considered one of the deadly sins in Singapore if you are deemed to quit your job to take a break!! haha...

Having such a peculiar shift in my lifestyle one year back into what all my friends call a "tai tai" lifestyle (they are too polite to call me an unemployed useless bum!) , I personally feel that breaking away from the norm of the typical executive lifestyle in Singapore is something one should attempt to do once in your life just maintain your sanity and mental health. I know of friends who toil in job after job, with no breaks in between, complaining of "no life"and "bad health", sacrificing precious family and friends to wrk late and weekends....just to chase the "lifestyle" deemed acceptable by the society. Comments such as" how can you quit a job just like that? You mean you quit your job WITHOUT another job? What abt your house, your family?You are married you know! You very rich ah, husband support you is it?". These "reality check" comments from kind souls are enough to scare one into sticking on with a shitty job. I mean, who DARES to take a break from work?

I definitely know and have experienced all these comments which kinda irritated me at the start since SO MANY people kept repeating the same thing to me for doing something so unorthodox but ultimately I am responsible for my own life and did not have to explain to anyone what I wanted to do (except my hubby of course!) .

To me, it could be the fact that I was approaching the big ol 30 and realised that I have not much time to do what I want since I would need to be a "responsible and stable daughter, wife and mother". These are the times when I look toward my swinging single "executive" friends who can afford to "go out for weekly drinks at the latest clubs" or "go for the latest Gucci sale" with envy. I guess starting a family and owning a home forces one to "grow up" and you will naturally restrict your carefree ways. So I gather, what better time to work and stay overseas, especially when my husband also decided on a career change that will base him overseas? It was fortunate for me that my hubby shared the same thoughts as me (he knows me best!) and he also supported my decision to do something different since we did not have too many financial/family burdens at that moment. We then planned our overseas transition quite smoothly and managed our relationship while being in different countries for the past year pretty well. If I look back now at both our plans, I would say this definitely had been the experience of our lives and despite all the tough adjustments and luggage packing, I would not trade it for anythg else (well, unless its a Gucci bag!).
Of course, to end off my "globe trotting" experience, I am currently expecting a baby! Now you know why I am back in Singapore!! *grin*

No comments: