Friday, May 4, 2007

Cornflake Cookies

I am one person who can have Muesli, Coco Pops, Corn Pops, Cornflakes or Nutrigrains for breakfast everyday! It is best eaten with cold milk and topped with raisins or fruits. I can even eat these with yogurt instead of milk. Gross rite? My hubby says I am a real "ang-moh"(westernised) wen it comes to my brekky (breakfast slang in Australia). I couldn't imagine how ppl can eat noodles or fried stuff for breakfast (unless it is Mac's hash browns!) for breakfast until I met my hubby. That's why I am so happie to be here in Perth...the milk here tastes fantastic! Dunno how to explain..it just has this creamy, milky taste that is just yummy to the max! I drink the low fat version of the milk and the same type of milk in Singapore just tastes bland. I just read somewhere that drinking milk won't make you fat and instead prevents osteoporosis in women...so drink up y'all! moooo....

As I have a ready stash of cornflakes and came across a cornflake cookie recipe in the web, I decided to try my hand at it. In Singapore, we normally eat cornflake cookies during Chinese New Year. It is like a staple you will see at most pple's houses...together with pineapple tarts and BBQ pork.

Here is my effort at it...feedback is that it is really good. How do I know? My 2 housemates finished all my cookies really fast and asked me to bake more! hehe...My hubby did not eat too much of it cos he felt it tasted too "healthy" and he prefers chocolatey ones. The cornflake cookie turned out crunchy and crumbly...and not too sweet too. It is great that there are more cookie monsters around me..so I can experiment with more stuff!

Ingredients:

110g butter (room temperature)

50g - 60g castor sugar

less than 1/4 tsp salt

1 egg yolk

1/2 tsp vanilla essence

1 - 1.5 tsp orange zest

150g cake flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp baking soda

50g cornflakes

Raisins or cherries for garnish (optional)

Method:1. Sieve flour together with baking powder and baking soda.2. Cream butter with sugar and salt till creamy.3. Add in the egg yolk and vanilla esssence and cream till well combined.4. Stir in the orange zest.5. Fold in the sieved flour mixture and cornflakes. Mix till you get a soft dough.6. Divide dough into equal pieces of about 12g each, shape into flat rounds.7. You can stick a raisin into the middle of the cookie before baking. (This step is optional).8. Bake at 175C for 18 - 20 minutes or till golden brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Tried out your cornflakes cookies and it turned out lovely! The cookies's were crunchy & delicious..me & my hubby were looking like "cookie monsters" cause we kept on eating and eating them. Thanks for sharing!