Monday, April 9, 2007

A CNY Break in Perth...baking

During my 2 week stay in Perth and with a mission to "feed" my hubby edible home cooked food, I also squeezed in time to bake some cookies and muffins. As I was limited by ingredients and equipment, I only made a few items. Time was a constraint too! hehe..


In case any of you suspect the "edibleness" of my food, I am proud to announce my hubby is still well and alive..no complaints of diarrhoea! hahahaha....I was also daring enough to pass some of the goodies to his colleagues and it seems that feedback was pretty favourable..."cheeky grin"


1. Chocolate Chip Muffins. I made at least 3 batches of these muffins. I varied the recipe each time by adding cheese , walnuts or raisins into the muffins..yum yum!

Ingredients:
115 gm (4 oz) butter at room temperature
70 gm (2½ oz) caster sugar
30 gm (1 oz) brown sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
215 gm (7½ oz) plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
125 gm(4 floz) milkplain chocolate chips

Method
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F). Sift flour and baking powder twice.

2. Cream butter until soft. Add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
3. Fold flour into butter mixture. Alternatively with the milk. Spoon mixture into muffin cups and sprinkle chocolate chips on top, then cover with a spoonful of the batter.
4. Bake until lightly coloured, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before turning out.


2. Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies. The 2nd picture below shows a variation where I added walnuts and raisins( u can see it is "fatter"). These are my hubby's fave. Again, I made at least a few batches of these cookies to pass to friends. Hard work I tell u...haha..

Ingredients:

125 g soft butter

75 gm caster sugar

60 ml brown sugar

1 egg

a few drops of vanila essence

150 gm plain flour

45 gm cornflour

½ tsp bicarbonate of sod

a pinch of salt

60 gm chopped nuts (walnuts, pecan, macadamia)

125 gm chocolate chips

Method

1. Cream butter with both sugars. Beat egg with vanila and add to butter mixture. Mix well.

2. Sift flour, cornflour, bicardonate of soda and salt together. Add to creamed mixture, mixing to a soft dough. Stir in nuts and chocoloate chips.

3. Shape dough into a ball, pinch off pieces and roll into balls, flouring your palms occasionally if necessary. Place on oiled baking trays leaving room for spreading, and flatten lightly with a fork. Bake at 180ºC (350ºF) for 15 minutes. Carefully remove to wire rack to cool.

3. Armed with lots of flour left and not much time, I decided to make pancakes for breakfast. It was my first attempt at making pancakes from scratch. It turned out pretty well and looks professional I must say...*grin*

I am not entirely satisfied with the taste of this pancakes so I will not post the recipe.Will research more!

4. Raisin Scones...I decided to make these as I had lots of flour left and no eggs. Again, this is my first attempt at scones and I am surprised it even turned out edible..hehehe..

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling

4 teaspoons baking powder

5 tablespoons unsalted butter

5 tablespoons sugar

Scant 2/3 cup milk

1/2 cup currants (optional)

1 large egg yolk (lightly beaten) or some milk for glaze

Clotted cream and strawberry jam, for serving

Method:

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking pan with parchment paper.

Sift flour and baking powder into a medium bowl.

Rub butter and sugar into flour to form a fine crumble.

Make a well in center and add milk and currants. Knead gently together, being careful not to over mix. (Dough will be sticky.)

Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Lightly mold it into a ball than then press down till it forms a rectangle like shape. Fold dough into half and repeat another two times, turning it clockwise as you go along.

Shape into circle and press down till about 1.5 inches thick.Cut with a knife into 8 large small triangles.

Place scones on baking tray lined with parchment paper. Glaze with milk/eggs and sprinkle with sugar.Bake for about 12 - 15min.


No comments: