Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Home in Singapore..More baking!

Finally ..home in my tiny kitchen in SG..except this time I am staying alone as my hubby is still in Perth! yeah!! haha...Anyways, I will be joining him in Perth in a month's time..this time in Perth will be a much longer stay so I need to finish up all my "errands" in Singapore.


I came back specially to finish up my last lap of driving lessons and to sit for my test. It was gloomy rainy afternoon during my test and I was scared shitless...But I am glad to announce that I passed it! I am pretty proud of myself as it was realli difficult to keep up consistently with my lessons as I was travelling quite a bit. I was pretty determined to take this "to do" item off my list in the year that I am about to hit 30! So old still taking driving rite?? haizz..what to do? I was so privileged to be driven all my life..hahaha..

Anyways it was a good opportunity for me to enjoy Singapore and my fave Fish Slice Bee Hoon Soup and Ban Mian (hand made noodles) as well as catch up with my family and friends. All the travelling had made me appreciate all these litte things so much more. I even helped my sister to babysit my niece during her one week holiday! Super Nanny ah..dun play play...hehehe...

I also worked for my aunt, which was great as time was flexible..haha..a.k.a sleep late wake up late but wrk still finished lah. It was my first time working for a retail shop at Chinatown... It was interesting..except for the sicko uncles at Chinatown who will attempt to call me "hi girl" and whistle as I walk pass. sigh...I should be glad someone is calling me a "girl" but well..perverts! hahaha..

Wah one mth in Singapore and I was doing so many things hor...and to think many pple think I am lazing at home..heh!

I also managed to bake some stuff...here are some pics:
1. Mini Cupcakes... actually tried to use a Madeleine(butter sponge cake) recipe for this but used cupcake moulds to bake as I did not have a proper Madeleine moulds. I went to Mini Toons and bought some cute sweets to put on the top. Though the cake was pretty soft and spongy, I found this recipe a little too "eggy"..hmmm...will attempt another Madeleine recipe soon.

2. Brownie Muffin. I always wanted to make a chocolatey muffin and it seems that this recipe is IT! yeah..I made 2 variations below.. One with lotsa chocolate and another with almond nuts. It was spongy and moist enough....success!!

Ingredients:
125g butter
150g 70% cocoa solids chocolate (like Lindt) OR Van Houten Cooking Chocolate
200g brown sugar pinch of salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tbsp rum, Tia Maria,Baileys or Kahlua
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
150g plain flour
3 tsp cocoa powder chocolate chips for scattering

HOW:
- Roughly chop up butter and chocolate and microwave to melt, OR sit in a large (heat-proof) bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir to melt.
- Stir in salt and sugar.
- Stir in vanilla, eggs and rum,beat lightly to mix.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Sift in rising agents,flour and cocoa,stir to combine.
- Scatter 1 tsp chocolate chips in your liners,then half fill with the batter. Do not be tempted to fill more!
- Scatter 1 tsp more chocolate chips overtop,bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until risen,springy and an inserted toothpick comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it.
- If there is wet batter,bake a while more but monitor closely. Because if it comes out dry,you have overbaked it. Cool a while before enjoying it warm. This keeps well for a few days without refrigeration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi baker gal...while I am ok with you posting my recipe up on your board,I'd appreciate it if you can credit me because this is my original creation... =)