Monday, April 9, 2007

A CNY Break in Perth...home cooked food

As I mentioned, I came to Perth to cook for my hubby and I am not joking! hehe.. In between all the shopping and sight seeing, we managed to squeeze enough time for me to cook a meal or two. I am no Martha Stewart so all these stuff are realli easy to prepare. The only difficulty I faced was having the same ingredients but having to cook different meals so that it doesnt make us bored of the same food...so I tried to engage my creative juices.. If you look carefully u will see all the same ingredients appearing in dishes!


Here are some pics of some meals I prepared..

1. Lamb Chops w Carrots & Corn . I "anyhow" made the sauce using onions and lamb gravy..surprisingly it tasted good...no "lamby" taste at all..haha.. 2. Seafood in Chilli crab sauce (I bought the Prima brand) + Roti Prata( I also brought in frozen Roti Prata from Singapore). It was not a good idea..the prata was thoroughly flattened during my flight there..*yikes*..at least it still tasted great!


3. Grilled Chicken Breasts w Creamy Cabonara spaghetti..i added ham n mushrooms too! This was realli well done as the sauce was not too creamy or dried up. *applause applause* 4.Dory Fish w creamy mushroom sauce on a bed of mash potatoes..complete w my baked mushrooms + carrots + corn. This was pretty good and extremely easy to whip up. Only thing was marinating the fish to ensure that it doesnt smell fishy.. 5. Vegetable Curry a.k.a Lontong!! I brought a paste from Singapore - Asian Gourmet. It doesnt taste so great...a bit regretful. I tried to alter the taste by adding lots of stuff (errmm cant remember now!) and it tasted ok. My hubby says it was good but I was still not satisfied..will continue to learn how to perfect a Lontong. Also, as I did not have ketupat (steamed rice in banana leaf), we substituted w mung bean vermicelli(tung hoon).




6. Beef steak w Black Pepper Sauce with mashed sweet potatoes and butter carrots. I remembered eating mashed sweet potatoes in a restaurant and decided to try making it. It was fantastic! As this steak was rather small, I also made a small side dish of clam spaghetti w white wine sauce. Fantastico!:P 7. Laksa.. a favourite local hawker dish in Singapore. I brought the Prima paste from Singapore. This paste is the easiest to cook...no brainer. We also discovered seafood chunks which is similar but nicer than the crab sticks we are used to eating in Singapore. aaahh.. .yummy-licious!
8. Shepard's Pie - Oven baked minced beef stew with mashed sweet potatoes on the top. I had to finish my sweet potatoes! :) Unfortunately we ran out of the mozerralla so we tore Kraft Cheese singles to melt on top..u can see weird cheese streaks on the top..haizz..so ugly.. Luckily this dish is something I have cooked many times (using sweet potato was the first time!) so it was delicious!
9.Chocolate Fondue..As it was Valentine's, we purchased a small choc fondue set from a chocolatier at Westfield Carousel. We sliced up peach, green apple and bananas to dip into the choc. Eating these with a glass of cool white fruity wine ..hmmm... sinful....


No comments: